12 November, 2011

Standing out from the crowd... Shida

If you cruise around Brisbane or the Gold coast you are bound to see some great art work, one artist stands out from the crowd, Shida. Enormous works painted with rollers and bucket paint, detailed line work and stickers that flood the streets. 

Seeing Shida's work so often we thought it was best to get inside the head of this prodigy.





Who are you? And when did your adventure as 
a street artist begin?
Started at age 14 on the Gold Coast after a family trip to Europe. Shortly after I started coming up to Brisbane most weekends to put up stickers where I met guys like Guz, I'm Seein' Robots and 1337.



Who/What are your major influences for you artwork?
I'm driven by graffiti and the streets. My styles grown from the influence of artists like Lister, Phibs, Sync and Reka. However these days I am mostly looking into my own work and drawing from the modern masters and Fantasy art from the likes of Rodger Dean and Frank Frazetta.


What has been the most memorable mission for you so far?
Vienna 09 painting on the canals. It was a dream. Painting in the middle of the day boom boxs, party times. People would bring us free beer all types of shit. Bit of a summer of love. 


What is your preferred medium?
On canvas its aerosol and mix media. On the street I'm really trying to work more with extension poles and large scale.



How did you develop your style?
It came at first from painting with continuous lines. As my pieces grew larger it evolved and I started to use my arm as a natural compass. Its just a constant progression. 


Any last words?
Shida World Tour 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment